Co-Editors-In-Chief Adam Baird and Amanda Rhoades discuss magazine production outside the new Science Building on Nov. 20.Photo credit: Juan Carlos Siezar.

Editors’ Note

Dear Readers,

We write this to you from our cramped, messy newsroom at San Diego City College, where countless issues of City Times have been created and more recently, the first issue of Legend Magazine in over 40 years.

Legend Magazine was last published in 1965, and originally began as a yearbook for the college. It became a campus magazine in 1960, but after only five years it ceased publication—until now.

With the remodel of our campus, updates to the journalism program, and the 100th anniversary of San Diego City College, it seems fitting to announce the return of Legend, a student-run news magazine written for everyone in our college and community.

It’s also an interesting conundrum, in that we are publishing a hard copy magazine during a time where so many big publications are transitioning to digital. While we also publish our magazine online, it has been a valuable (and at times, exhausting) experience learning the “ancient ways.” But the most important thing in any publication, be it digital or print, is the content within.

We aim to provide quality stories reflecting the diverse happenings within and around our campus. We aren’t just students here at City College—we each have own identities within the San Diego community and it is those identities that influence and inspire our time at City. These are the stories that make up who we are, and why we’ve chosen a path through this college. These are stories worth telling.

It is with great pleasure we present, from our desk to yours, the new Legend Magazine.

Donate to City Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Diego City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover the cost of training and travel to conferences, and fund student scholarships. Credit card donations are not tax deductible. Instead, those donations must be made by check. Please contact adviser Nicole Vargas for more information at [email protected].