Perez receives life sentence

Angelica Wallingford, Editor in Chief

Armando Gabriel Perez received life in prison without the possibility of parole plus one year for the 2010 murder of former San Diego City College student and his estranged wife Diana Gonzalez on Jan. 16.

According to U-T San Diego, Perez, 41, was denied motions to withdraw his guilty plea to not guilty by reason of insanity by San Diego Superior Court Judge Charles Rogers during the hearing.

Rogers acknowledged that Perez suffered in his past but that did not excuse the crimes he committed.

“It was, in fact, one of the most brutal and violent murders that I’ve ever seen,” Rogers stated, according to U-T San Diego.

Concepćion Gonzalez, the victim’s mother, exchanged words with Perez, according to U-T San Diego.

“You are a bad man, a good for nothing because what you did to my daughter was not forgivable …” Gonzalez said with the help of an interpreter. “We will hate you for the rest of our lives.”

On the first day of his trial on Nov. 24, 2014, Perez acted as his own attorney and pleaded guilty to Gonzalez’s murder.

Perez had a volatile and abusive relationship with his estranged wife that included police reports that stated three weeks before Gonzalez was killed, she accused her estranged husband of kidnapping her from Balboa Park and holding her for two days where Perez allegedly assaulted, raped and falsely imprisoned Gonzalez, according to a 2011 City Times article.

On Oct. 12, 2010, Perez waited for his then-19-year-old estranged wife to leave her night class. He then grabbed her, dragged her into a restroom on campus and, according to a medical examiner, stabbed Gonzalez multiple times, including slicing a vulgar word onto her back.