National Voter Registration Day comes to City College

Voters must be registered to vote before Oct. 22 in order to be eligible to vote on Nov. 6 election.

Juan Andres Villa (in blue, with hat) and Jessica Cohen (in black tank) of Nextgen were on campus helping register students to vote on Sept. 25 in the AH quad. Photo by Nadia Mishkin.

Carla Zuniga, Staff Writer

National Voter Registration Day was Sept. 25 and San Diego City College, along with NextGen America, held a voter registration drive.

Jessica Cohen
Jessica Cohen of Nextgen were on campus helping register students to vote on Tues., Sept. 25 in the AH quad.

Armed with free donuts and tacos, NextGen America workers and volunteers helped City College students register to vote in the AH/BT quad late Tuesday afternoon.

Midterm elections are soon approaching, the election is scheduled to take place Nov. 6. In order to participate, voters must be registered to vote no later than Oct. 22.

“Helping others is my passion,” said Ana Lomeli, a City College student studying to be a social worker. “I think that by voting this November, we can get more Democrats in Congress to slow down the (Donald) Trump administration and their policies.”

Lomeli is an active political figure in her community. She has been part of several political events and demonstrations since Trump took office.

Currently, the Republican Party holds the majority in both the House of Representatives and the Senate. This could change this November, making a more balanced Capitol Hill.

Compared to previous elections, the upcoming one will be a longer due to the number of decisions on the ballot.

San Diego voters will have another option than the long lines at their regular polling places. Voters have the option to vote by mail.

According to the San Diego County Registrar of Voters, it will start mailing out more than 1.1 million ballots, starting Oct. 8.

There are many ways to register to vote prior to the Oct. 22 deadline. The City College student affairs office in room M-200 is available for students to come in and register to vote.

Another option is through the REG-e (Student Web Services) system.  Students can click on “Register to Vote” button in REG-e to complete the voter registration process.

City College also has the direct link, https://www.sdcity.edu/RegisterToVote available as another option for voter registration.

On Nov. 6, once election day is here, City College will offer students the opportunity to their vote in the P building.