Intercession opens, but with fewer options

With more classes online and few seats remaining, intercession officially opens today.

Jonny Rico

Signs on campus during the fall semester reminded students to register for intercession classes. Jonny Rico, City Times

Jesse Altilio, Staff Writer

Editor’s note: This story originally appeared in the December edition of Legend magazine.

The Fall 2018 semester is officially over and students, especially those who have applied to transfer to a four-year university next fall, might be interested in four-week intersession classes.

Getting a few units out of the way in four weeks instead of the regular 16-week semester is convenient, but students wanting to take this route might run into unexpected problems.

Low enrollment figures for San Diego City College have forced the school to cut classes.

“Not getting done would be a roadblock,” said Terrynn Roberts, who plans to transfer next fall. “I plan to graduate and go to SDSU, later to the Air Force once I get a bachelor’s. To prolong college would set me back.”

According to Governor Jerry Brown at Stanford University’s Policy Forum, California’s economy is “at the peak.” Strong economies result in lower enrollment.

“Budgets are dependent on what’s given to us,” said Edwin Hiel, counseling department co-chair. “When our economy is good, the budgets are robust. When employment is available, people are taking jobs. Even if they’re not career-oriented, we’re paying bills.”

Of the 25 intercession classes starting today, only 6 had seats listed as available this morning. 

Students looking through the open intersession classes will have to keep in mind that some classes will not be on campus.

“A lot of the classes have moved online,” said Jennifer Aase, counseling department co-chair. “So that’s extra time that you’re spending learning on your own.”

What are the best tips for surviving intercession?

1. You’ll have to manage your time well especially if you’re employed: “A lot of the classes have moved to the online format, so that’s extra time that you’re spending … learning on your own,” Aase said.
  2. There are no tutors available during intersession due to the budget issues, so any help you’ll need this winter, you’ll have to arrange on your own or from one of SDCCD’s other campuses, such as Mesa College.
  3. Web-based courses don’t qualify for G.I. Bill benefits without at least one class held on campus, so veterans may struggle to adapt this intersession.
  4. DSPS students may find it challenging to keep up with the accelerated pace of winter intersession.

Updates:

Jan. 2, 9 a.m.: Intercession course availability statistics were updated for the web version of this story.