City College offers military support

On-campus group meets bi-weekly

Jonny Rico

San Diego City College’s Mental Health department has various support groups for students to find community. By Jonny Rico/City TImes.

Sonny Garibay, Sports Editor

A military support group offered by Mental Health Services at San Diego City College has gained little interest from prospective members.

The group, offered to students who are active duty military and veterans, as well as students who are in military households, is scheduled to meet every other Wednesday from 3:30-4:30 p.m. It is designed to create a sense of community among students with military backgrounds.

“We want to be able to talk about the shared experiences that people have,” said Molly Schwartz, an intern at mental health. “Whether it’s shared experiences of their time serving … or coming back to school.

“We’re basically talking about (what) it means to be associated with the military.”

Schwartz and fellow intern Janisha Street oversee the group. While they have tried several methods of spreading the word about it no students have stopped in as of yet.

The support group plans to help its members develop tools to aid them as they continue their education. These tools include mindfulness and meditation, as well as other coping techniques.

“At the Mental Health Center we’re always encouraging people to expand their toolbox of coping skills,” Schwartz said.

Mental Health Services plans to offer workshops for the groups, though the kinds of workshops would depend on the wants and needs of the members. They also aim to connect veterans with outside resources as well.

The Mental Health Center will continue to hold the group through the end of the semester. It will meet April 3, April 17, and May 1, at the Student Health Center in the A- Building, room 180-Y.

Other groups offered by Mental Health Services

The Mindful Self-Compassion Group meets every Tuesday from 11 a.m.- 12 p.m. 

The LGBTQIA+ Support Group meets every other Tuesday from 10-11 a.m. It will next meet April 2.

Both of these groups meet in A-180Y and have regular attendance.