City Times

City Times takes home Best in Show

City Times at the San Diego Press Club's 40th Annual Excellence in Journalism Awards. Clockwise from left to right: Adam Baird, former Editor-in-Chief Troy Orem, Adam Burkhart, current Editors-in-Chief Allison Browne and Jennifer Manalili, and Fahima Paghmani. The City Times staff was named best college newspaper and won first place college news site.

Jennifer Manalili

City Times was recently awarded with two prestigious first place honors — winning both best college newspaper and first place college news site — at the San Diego Press Club’s 40th annual Excellence in Journalism awards Oct. 29 at the Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation.

Former Editor-in-Chief Troy Orem was awarded first place in Cover Design. Orem also placed second and third respectively in College Media Photography.

Cartoonist and current copy editor, Adam Baird, received second place in Drawing, Illustration, or Cartoon for “Why So Serious?” He also took second place in Reviews for his story, “Evolution of the ‘Creed.’”

City Times alumni Fahima Paghmani and Adam Burkhart both placed in the News category, with Paghmani winning second place for her piece “Commemorating victims of abuse.” Burkhart took first for his news story “Brown delivers ultimatum.”

Current Co-Editor-in-Chief Allison Brown was awarded third place in Feature Writing for “City students hit the airwaves,” which detailed the launch of Jazz 88.3’s second radio station, SDS radio —- or Student Designed Sound.

Former City Times adviser and current City College Legend magazine adviser, Roman S. Koenig, also went home with six awards for design among other specialties.

Earlier this year, the publication fared well at the San Diego Society of Professional Journalists and the Journalism Association of Community Colleges (JACC), the latter of which yielded 10 awards for on the spot and mail-in competitions.

The student-run newspaper also won awards in Best of Show, Best Focus on School and Best Layout/Design at the San Diego County Fair over the summer.

.