City Times

City takes the gold: San Diego City College takes first place for Best College/University
 on Best of Downtown 2014 list

Back to Article
Back to Article

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

Angelica Wallingford, Editor in Chief

San Diego City College received a gold ranking for Best College/University on the Best of Downtown List 2014, beating out San Diego State University, which placed silver.

“Throughout the district we are all proud of City College,” Chancellor Constance M. Carroll said via email. “As our oldest institution and as our most urban institution, the college should definitely be acknowledged as San Diego’s best downtown educational asset.”

The Best of Downtown 2014 list was chosen by the readers of the San Diego Downtown News publication to give recognition to their favorite places in downtown San Diego. The list is separated into a number of categories including Dining & Drinks, Retail & Entertainment and Business & Retail with a plethora of subcategories that include everything from the best fast food place to the best barber shop to go to for a quick trim.

“As the educational cornerstone of downtown San Diego, the 60-acre campus comprises one-fifth of the downtown footprint,” San Diego Downtown News wrote. “… The transformed college is now home to nearly 17,000 students and offers more than 100 majors and 100 certificate programs.”

Along with Carroll, City College President Anthony Beebe was pleased with City College’s ranking on the yearly list.

“Because the designation is an award that comes from readership, I think it is special to have so many people think so highly of City College,” Beebe commented via email.

Beebe also expressed that he’s not quite sure how City received gold while SDSU received a silver ranking but that “City College has been around for over 100 years, generations of San Diegans have attended the college.”

“City College’s roots run very, very deep in the community,” Beebe concluded.

1 Comment

One Response to “City takes the gold: San Diego City College takes first place for Best College/University
 on Best of Downtown 2014 list”

1. Baucho on March 26th, 2015 10:42 am

Please, what other schools are downtown to compete with? SDSU, is that considered “downtown?” How so? Montezuma’s a downtown street?

There’s no other community colleges in the downtown area except SDCC. If it was competing with other private colleges, like Thomas Jefferson or something, it’s hard to believe that it would win anything. Well, Thomas Jefferson did get sued by some alumni for not providing jobs for its graduates, and that’s about par for SDCC as I don’t think any of its alumni can find jobs anywhere. But that’s another story.

Did it compete with downtown community colleges from other cities? Maybe it would have prevailed over Sacramento’s City College, which is a terrible place. Other than that, I don’t know.

This is an interesting article; I don’t get it.

• City takes the gold: San Diego City College takes first place for Best College/University
 on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

Local college abruptly closes its doors on students

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

City College website continues steady improvements

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

Student Services settle into (A) new permanent home

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

New City College VPI knows all about balancing work and education

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

Planned construction leads to graduation venue change

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

City College website refreshed

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

City College dean placed on administrative leave

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

City College officials disagree with President Trump’s characterization of the border

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

District’s Dowd named to state funding oversight committee

on Best of Downtown 2014 list

NEWS

New year, new semester, new buildings at City College

The news site of San Diego City College
 on Best of Downtown 2014 list