Student honored by San Diego Association of Black Journalists

Ikedra King on a voice-interview as she was unfolding a story Alumni for San Diego City College’s City Times newspaper. David Ahumada/ City Times

Yakira Delgadillo, Staff Writer

April 18, 2018

It was a special night last Friday evening for San Diego City College Digital Journalism Department. The San Diego Association of Black Journalists held its Annual Scholarship Reception at the Sorrento Valley Qualcomm Campus in honor of students pursuing a career in journalism.

Out of many applicants, five students from various San Diego schools were selected to receive scholarships. Among those who won was City Times Arts and Life Editor Ikedra King.

“I see myself being more comfortable sharing my story and other people’s stories about their true life experiences, the freedom to be themselves and change what the societal norm looks like. And accept all people of shapes, sizes, colors and differences,” King said.

Ikedra King receiving an award on behalf of her journalism success at the San Diego Associations of Black Journalist 2018 Scholarship Reception at the Qualcomm Center in La Jolla. Yakira Delgadillo/ City Times

King’s friends, family, and classmates were there to support her on the special night. Her childhood friend Tori Clark, said, “I knew she would get something like this, because I know she’s a go-getter and destined for greatness. This is only the beginning, I know she’s going to be good in whatever she does, especially in journalism.”

Jim Trotter, a former reporter for ESPN who now works for the NFL Network was the keynote speaker. He stated that integrity and character were important characteristics when telling a story. Trotter said, “journalism is a responsibility, to take it seriously, take every obstacle as advantage, do great things, and know who you are.”