Local star raises money for Promise students

Four-time Academy Award nominee comes to San Diego to support community college students.

Annette+Bening

Hollywood actress Annette Bening, a former San Diego Mesa College student, will headline at the SDCCD fundraiser. Photo courtesy of SDCCD.

Jonny Rico, Editor-in-Chief

Hollywood actress Annette Bening will headline the San Diego Community College District’s sold-out fundraising dinner for the San Diego Promise program on Sept. 20.

“We’re privileged to have a great alumna of Mesa College,” said Constance Carroll, chancellor of San Diego Community College District, to event sponsor California Coast Credit Union, in a recent interview. “(She’s a) great supporter of our district.”

Bening is a four-time Academy Award nominee. She was nominated for best supporting actress for her part in “The Grifters” (1990), as well as being nominated three times for best actress for her roles in “American Beauty” (1999), “Being Julia” (2004) and “The Kids are All Right” (2010).

San Diego Promise is the region’s only two year, tuition-free program that gives qualifying full-time students the opportunity to attend any of the district’s three colleges (San Diego City College, San Diego Mesa College and Miramar College) without paying tuition.

The event at Balboa Park’s Natural History Museum has raised over $120,000, according to the district.