Kavanaugh confirmed, campus protest continues

Students shared sexual assault experiences and protested the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court of the United States.

San Diego City College students gather in front of the MS building to protest the Kavanaugh confirmation. By Brian Mohler.

Brian Mohler, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Brett Kavanaugh may be confirmed to the Supreme Court, but several student organizations still spoke out against the Associate Justice, Trump and an unpopular system that they believe oppresses women, workers, minorities, and immigrants.

The City College protest took place at the MS quad on Oct. 9. It was put on by the International Socialist Organization-San Diego, Unity Club, SAMAFILA, Umoja and Puente.

Two San Diego City College female students spoke at the event, Kenna Shaw and Rochelle O’Donnell. O’Donnell also spoke at a previous Kavanaugh protest.

O’Donnell, a sexual assault survivor, talked about the difficulty of proving sexual assaults. She said she believes Dr. Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations against Kavanaugh.

“Just because there is no physical proof doesn’t mean the incident never occurred,” O’Donnell said.

Shaw, a studio art student at City College, spoke about being sexually assaulted when she was 17. She admitted to being intoxicated during her assault, but said that wasn’t an excuse to be violated.

City College student Kenna Shaw speaks at protest.
City College student Kenna Shaw speaks at Kavanaugh protest. By Brian Mohler.

Shaw encouraged others to talk about their experiences. She also read a list of previous Kavanaugh rulings, which she pointed out as harmful to women and workers, and disallowed the freedom of expression.

Shaw expressed her frustration and the need for a public protest in the streets with a loud, expletive-filled chant that urged others to fight for their rights.

Amy Arreaga, an ISO student organizer, added, “take your rage and turn it into something productive.”

According to a Washington Post-ABC News poll, a majority of Americans do not support Kavanaugh’s SCOTUS confirmation.

The 50-48 Kavanaugh confirmation was the narrowest in the Senate since 1881.

If you need to speak to someone about sexual assault, do not hesitate to contact the Center for Community Solutions 24-hour, toll-free hotline at 1-888-385-4657. You can also visit Mental Health Counseling at City College in room BT-105 for support and resources, which includes referrals to a victim’s advocate available to students through the San Diego Community College District.

Updated Oct. 18, 6:40 p.m.: This article was updated to include the assistance information added to the bottom of the story.

The story was originally published Oct. 16 at 12:11 p.m.