City College welcomes back students, faculty

Services are available for new and returning students.

Aurora Ruvalcaba

The bookstore has extended its hours to meet student needs in the semester’s opening week. Photo by Aurora Ruvalcaba

Sonny Garibay, Editor-in-Chief

San Diego City College convened for the 2019 fall semester on Monday, welcoming back new students, returners and faculty.

To assist students in navigating the stressful first week of classes, the staff of the City Times has compiled a list of helpful information, services and activities on campus. 

• Due to issues with Peoplesoft, parking permits are not currently available until September 3. Until then, parking is free for students. However, faculty/staff parking remains for permitted faculty and staff only, according to campus police.

• It’s the start of a new semester and you couldn’t register on time for classes. Don’t panic! You still have a chance to register for the late classes that are still available. A full list is available here.

• Registration is a vital time for students and the new online system can cause a few mishaps. Peer mentors are available to help with registration and can be found in the A building, room A-313, alongside several of the other offices.

• The campus bookstore has extended hours through Saturday, Aug. 24. It is open Monday-Thursday from 7:45 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

• With the implementation of the new centralized registration and information system, mySDCCD offers a new text alert program for students. The text alerts provide an alternative way for students to communicate an emergency, as well as receiving safety alerts on campus.

• A mini-market is open in the new cafeteria space for students to purchase snacks. In the meantime, students will still have to leave campus for an actual meal or visit the food trucks, which remain on campus.

• Smart Market vending machines offer nutritious food items for students on the bottom floor of the S building. Students can create an account for quick access and earn points or pay as a guest.

• The City College theater program will offer two plays this semester: “Just Like Us,” running from Sept. 27 to Oct. 6, and “She Kills Monsters,” which opens Oct. 25 through Nov. 3. Auditions will take place on Aug. 22.

Staff writers Jesse Altilio, Melisa Cabello-Cuahutle, Angel Cazares, Scott Gardinier, Madai Gurrola, Vicky Pineda, Diangela Veras, Valerie Vizcarra contributed to this story.