Entering 2010 unsure

After many endless days and nights spent studying or working on homework, most City students look forward to the end of the year as a time to breathe and enjoy holiday festivities with their loved ones. Students only have yet to conquer finals and exert a little more energy to make the grade.

Here at City Times, we find ourselves reflecting on the past fall semester, looking for reoccurring themes that will carry us into the New Year.

After perusing our issues for this fall, we found that the majority of our headlines were dominated by programs and students affected by budget cuts.

Our first taste this semester of the budget crisis came with the news of a tuition price hike and the Inspiration Point shuttle service being pulled. While some said it was a necessary change to save programs from being cut, others didn’t agree with the state’s decisions.

We began to see students voice their opinions and fight back at numerous protest rallies. One of the first rallies this semester united City, Mesa, and Miramar students and faculty at City College, with over 600 protesters in attendance.

Another protest followed, where students marched from City College to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s office in San Diego. The administration responded by hosting an open forum to discuss the budget deficit and the threat of “Budgetzilla” looming over the community colleges.

Faculty unions fired back with a budget cut march to the governor’s office, also stating their concerns of staff being cut and not replaced.

After toting colorful signs and shouting powerful words all over San Diego, City was still not able to escape additional cuts being made.

To round out the semester, the cosmetology program was hit hard when it was announced that the night program would be phased out, DSPS would be losing additional funding and winter intersession was completely canceled leaving classes over break no longer an option.

With the spring schedule available now, and classes quickly filling up, what do students have to look forward to? Should we enter 2010 with uncertainty and anticipation of further cuts? Are we to think that our voices fall on deaf ears?

All we can do as City students is be prepared for anything. Make sure to register for classes as early as possible. Don’t slack on paying your fees or risk being dropped from those vital classes. Don’t assume that you’ll be able to crash classes; the reality is most classes will be wall to wall with students hoping for a seat.

Also stay on top of announcements about additional cuts. Knowledge truly is power, and staying informed on new developments about cancelled classes or fee changes.
Mostly importantly, keep asking the hard questions. Why are cuts happening? Where is the fee increase money going? Student voice is the most powerful tool we have to save our education and ensure our successful futures.

Donate to City Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Diego City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover the cost of training and travel to conferences, and fund student scholarships. Credit card donations are not tax deductible. Instead, those donations must be made by check. Please contact adviser Nicole Vargas for more information at [email protected].