‘Anatomy of Gray’ to premiere at the Black Box Theatre

San Diego City College’s Dramatic Arts Program to present six performances of the Jim Leonard, Jr. play ‘Anatomy of Gray.’

San Diego City College student journalist rehearse “Anatomy of Grey” play. By Nadia Mishkin.

Brian Mohler, Arts and Entertaiment Editor

A period piece set in 1890s rural America, “Anatomy of Gray” features a twist of fate when outsider Dr. Galen Gray crash lands his hot air balloon in the small town of Gray, Indiana.

Floribelle Ocampo
Floribelle Ocampo (front) will play the protagonist June in the City College production of “Anatomy of Gray,” which opens its six-performance run on Sept. 28 at the Black Box Theatre. By Nadia Mishkin.

Protagonist June Muldoon believes Dr. Gray is the answer to her prayers, sent to heal the town after the recent death of her father.

Controversy ensues as the ideals of religious faith clash with scientific medicine.

San Diego City College’s Dramatic Arts Program is presenting six performances of the Jim Leonard, Jr. play.

The first “Anatomy of Grey” showing is scheduled for Sept. 28 and will run through Oct. 7 at the City College Black Box Theatre.

The play is directed by Dr. Katie Rodda with a cast of San Diego City College student actors.

Lead roles are played by Devin McKenna as Dr. Gray, Floribelle Ocampo as June, Roosevelt Green as Pastor Wingfield and Denise Martinez Lopez as Rebekah Muldoon.

Roosevelt Green and Floribelle Ocampo
Roosevelt Green (standing) stars as Pastor Wingfield, with Floribelle Ocampo set to play June in “Anatomy of Gray.” Nadia Mishkin, City Times

Look for stimulating scene and costume designs by professors Duane Gardella and Elisa Benzoni.

The play contains a plot twist and a tragic ending.

“It’s a cautionary tale between science versus religion,” said actor Roosevelt Green. “It’s a way of saying be more open minded to things and don’t be so quick to judge.”

Leonard was affected by his good friend John Geter’s homosexuality and struggle with AIDS in the small, religious and unaccepting Indiana town they came from.

“There was a lot of suspicion, discrimination and hysteria surrounding AIDS in the 1980s,” said Dr. Rodda. “(It) affected millions of lives throughout America and the world. This play is a metaphor of that experience.”

“What happens when the good people get sick and you can’t just pray it away?”

"Anatomy of Gray" cast
Cast includes (clockwise from left) Brandon Arroyo, Omar Ramos, Roosevelt Green, Veronica Cardenas, Kelsey Morales and Vanessa Ramos. Nadia Mishkin, City Times

Tickets are $15 for the public and $10 for students, staff, seniors or military. Tickets can also be purchased through Eventbrite.

Friday and Saturday night shows will be at 8 p.m. on Sept. 28-29 and Oct. 5-6. Sunday showtimes are scheduled for 2 p.m. on Sept. 30 and Oct. 7.

The City College Visual and Performing Arts program has also announced an adaptation of Ovid’s “Metamorphoses” that will be featured at the Seville Theatre.

News editor Nadia Mishkin contributed to this report.